Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Secret Garden Tea Company - Afternoon Tea in Kerrisdale

What had I gotten myself into? I made a promise to my girlfriend that I didn't actually think I would have to fulfill.

Since she spent quite a lot of money for my birthday, I told her that one day I would take her for afternoon/high tea.

Well apparently she remembered me saying this quite clearly..it was all a little fuzzy in my mind.


Well it was time for me to make good on my promise so we got in the car and started driving for Kerrisdale. Her favorite tea store is Secret Garden so it seemed only natural that this would be the site of our afternoon tea adventure.

I had been here once before, last year when we were house sitting for a friend nearby. I liked their lunch so I wasn't too worried about what I was getting myself into.

I left my testosterone at the door as we entered this nice little tea shop.

We were seated right by the window, which was great for me since the natural light helped with the picture taking. It was a private spot so I didn't feel to bad snapping away with my camera.

We first off had to decide what kind of tea we would be drinking, Jessica chose to have the Vanilla Almond tea. Myself, not being a big tea drinker went with a Wild Strawberry Green tea.
Along came the tea...
tea pot


my wild strawberry green tea (more strawberry than wild)
The green tea was quite good, it smelled great and was tasty.

Anyways...enough tea, let's get on to the good stuff.


By good stuff I'm not referring to the person behind the food, I am speaking about the wonderful 3 tiers of deliciousness.

Tier 1 - Sandwiches/Savory

#1 Lemon Chicken, thyme mayo, avocado and asparagus on a mini croissant.

#2 Egg Salad Pinwheels.

#3 Goat cheese, kalamto olives, on a butter cracker.
My favorite out of these was the Goat cheese on the cracker. My opinion my be a bit biased because I love goat cheese. Second favorite was the egg salad, and lastly the lemon chicken. But honestly they were all excellent

Tier 2 Scones/Blueberry Bread

The second tier consisted of cranberry scones and slices of blueberry bread accompanied by devonshire cream and jam.

I of course enjoyed the first tier more, but my girlfriend goes crazy over scones and devonshire cream. She ranks Secret Garden's #1 in the world.
I have been dragged to a few tea houses in Europe and Canada by her..she take this very seriously.

Tier 3 Dessert

Famous Lemon Tart

Coconut cream pie

Chocolate Mousse
It took me a while to eat the desserts because they were very sweet. I ate one, then took a 5 minute break and sipped on tea to prepare myself for more sugar. The Coconut cream pie was  my favorite.. partly because of the butterfly.

I will stop boring everyone now with words and add the last of the pictures .


That's it!
With tax it costs roughly $30 a person..a little steep in my opinion but I think it's
something fun you can splurge on every once in a while. Secret Garden has a great location and is a really nice looking Tea Shop. They do have breakfast and lunch menu that is separate from afternoon tea.
If you're interested in checking out the Lunch I recommend the Macaroni and Cheese.

Secret Garden Tea Company on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...