Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Johnnie's Hideway - Lake Buena Vista, Orlando

By recommendation of the Concierge service, we decided to leave the confines of our hotel and venture a short walk away to Johnnie's Hideway, a seafood and steak house. We had a party of four and were quickly seated, this was a very nice restaurant. The interior somewhat reminded me of Joey's in Vancouver.
The menus were quite large, but I must say, The Glowbal Group of restaurants (only been to Society and Sanafir) take the cake when it comes to giant menus. There was a lot to chose from, many different cuts of beef. Crab, Lobster, Prawns.. so many decisions. Thinking back I wish I had chosen a nice fat rare steak..maybe because I'm just craving it right now but they had some very nice cuts of meat there. While we browsed the menu, we were brought out complimentary house made pickles. That was something a little different than what I'm used to. Fine dining I usually think an assortment of breads come out..but nope some pickles came out.
I actually didn't try one because I was watching my sodium intake..just kidding, I just was not in the mood for a pickle. The rest of the table tried them and there comments mostly described them as 'unique' ..  I'll let you decide whether that's a good or bad thing. I felt a little awkward with two people at the table unaware of my interest in taking pictures of the food I eat so I tried to lay low and be inconspicuous..no flash photography for me.

I don't recall what this salad was called, it came with our meals.. but I won't give away what we ordered just yet. However this salad was awesome. On the top it had your basic greens, beets, chick peas..but underneath it lay a bed of potato salad. It was a very unique salad I had never had before, and in this case unique is a good thing. The potato salad is up there was some of the best I've had.. not as good as my girlfriends french style potato salad however.

So for our main meal, my girlfriend and I shared the Alaskan King Crab Legs. They were served in a wooden basket, with drawn butter on the side. They were pretty good, I am not a huge crab person but I quite enjoy eating it. I was however a little hungry because crab doesn't really fill me up on it's own. Luckily I was eating with three woman..which means what they don't eat Peter gets to finish!
Since we were sharing an entree, we decided to order a side to go with it. We chose the Deep Dish Hashbrowns.  The waiter wasn't lying when he said this was huge. It was very tasty. I don't think you can go wrong with hasbrowns, cheese sauce, jalapenos, and tomatoes.
I was quite happy to gorge on this and fill myself up after still being peckish from the crab.
My girlfriend's mother, and her colleague ordered the Giant Madagascar Shrimp and the Jumbo Fried Shrimp. I didn't take a picture of their plates, but they let me try one of each so I snapped a pic. The Shrimp were huge! This picture does not do them justice but you can kind of compare it to the fork, even though it is in the background, they were pretty much the length of a fork. I enjoyed them, but wouldn't order them for myself as an entree if I were to go again.

I snapped this picture on the way out. In the lobby, they had displays of their seafood and steaks..there was some huge great looking steaks and some tasty seafood. I think the shrimp/prawns below (which one?) were what we ate...they were massive.

Final Thoughts: This was one of the best places we ate in Orlando. I would have loved to have gone back..maybe next time. Great seafood.
Johnnie's Hideaway on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...