Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tusker House, African Lunch Buffet - Disney's Animal Kingdom


Located inside Disney's Animal Kingdom, the Tusker House restaurant is a more expensive spot to eat where, "the flavors of Africa are drummed up in exotic lunch and dinner buffets that include a variety of vegetarian and meat-based options". Having had a pretty cheap breakfast we thought we would treat ourselves to a nice sit down lunch buffet at a signature Disney restaurant. There was no line up to be seated and the wait staff was incredibly friendly. The old woman who seated us was really trying hard to put a ring on my girlfriends finger because she was "beautiful" and "not overweight like many other woman" .. I had a good laugh with her.


The buffet items were in a separate, high ceiling room with the dessert station in the middle and the rest of the food lined around the walls. I didn't take pictures of every individual food station (still feels kind of rude to me) so I just took a quick overview shot. The selection wasn't huge (I would have liked to have seen more options) but I found many things I liked and stuck with them.


The lighting wasn't the greatest inside for pictures, but the interior consisted of lots of African art and pictures on the walls, while the tables and chairs were darkly stained wood.


This picture really sums up what I ate. I know I need to work on my plating presentation but I am still new at this! The little croquette looking things are mini corn dogs, no they are not gourmet but they sure were tasty and I couldn't get enough. The had the usual roast beef carving station, unfortunately like most buffets it is cooked to please the masses (meaning not rare enough). On the right you can see a bit of a chicken wing, these were quite tasty. The roasted potatoes were very very good, I'm not sure what spices were used but I enjoyed them a lot. My favorite part of the buffet was a seafood stew, it consisted of mussels, prawns, and scallops. I have no idea what the sauce was on it but it tasted incredible.


They had a little station with pita bread, crackers, and different dips. The hummus was very good (big hummus fan here) and I wasn't sure what I thought of the other dip. I think it had cous cous in it and some parsley and what not but I don't recall if I liked it or not. I apologize for the lack of pictures taken, I was just enjoying myself too much. I really enjoyed the Tusker House, not just for the food but the experience was a good one as well. I would have liked to see more variety of dishes and some medium rare meat but other than that I have no qualms and would recommended it if you ever find yourself hungry at Disney's Animal Kingdom.


One last snack before we left the park. Even though it was incredibly hot I was craving a pretzel. A particular jalapeno & cheese one caught my eye and I was helpless against it. Regular pretzels are good enough but add jalapeno and cheese and you have a winning combination right there...I think Vancouver should get a pretzel cart somewhere downtown, just saying..

I hope you enjoyed my post about the Animal Kingdom. There is still many more eats in Disney to write about so stay tuned for more!

Tusker House on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the useful information blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to find a hop & vine post from you but I couldnt find the search bar! lol, no I dont live on forest grove, I live in one of the highrises by hop & vine. I used to go there all the time when I had a roommate, now not so much..

    I saw this post and thought Id check it out thinking it might be kenyan food (since Tusker beer comes from Kenya) but I didnt see any tradional dishes :( but then again it is Disney!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...