Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Rodyney's Oyster House (Yaletown)

1228 Hamilton St
Vancouver, BC V6B
www.rodneysoysterhouse.com
(604) 609-0080-Located  right by Yaletown Roundhouse Station
-Low Tide Mon-Sat 3-6pm
Freshly Shucked Oysters $1.50 each


I had been waiting and waiting for a $50 pre paid master card I had won for a look-alike contest  through the Vancouver TV Week Magazine, see post here. Finally it arrived and I was excited to use it for a free meal (being a student, dining out is not always affordable). At first I was thinking about using it at La Bodega since I have been wanting to go back but I had been craving raw oysters for a while now and I thought I would check out Low Tide at Rodney's Oyster House.

The first thing I noticed was a very casual relaxed atmoshpere..which I appreciated, no one seemed to be in a hurry and everyone was enjoying themselves.
I ordered a Miller Genuine Draft (reminded me of being in high school again) and then took a look at the menu to see what I was feeling. I knew I wanted Oysters so I ordered six of them. We were brought a bunch of dipping sauces that people put on the oysters.. Being so manly I didn't want anything to cover up the taste but there was some interesting ones.

I did try some of the sauces on the complimentary bread just to see what they tasted like. In the middle there was a pepper vodka.. something a little different. These sauces are used to put on the oysters, I guess if you don't like the taste of them these help mask it. My only experience was oysters are smoked oysters in a can (a Christmas tradition in my family) and oyster motoyaki at japanese restaurants.

The Oysters came served on a bed of ice, freshly shucked and ready to be consumed.
I asked the server where the oysters were from and he said Cortez Island. I thought it was pretty cool that these oysters are caught in British Columbia, I think it makes them taste better knowing they're from close by. I just added a squeeze of lemon juice to my oysters then let them slide right down. I thought they were very good, I wish they had been bigger though, I think I could have eaten ten more. I managed to get my girlfriend to try one too, she was surprisingly good about it.
I also orderd the Scallop Galette, which was potato crusted scallops served on a bed of mixed greens.
These were very tasty, I only wish there was more of them. The scallops were cooked perfectly though and tasted great.
Lastly we ordered the Smoked Salmon, which came with rye bread, capers, red onions and cream cheese.
I didn't eat any of this, it was for my girlfriend. I wasn't really able to get good pictures because of the lighting and I thought it would be rude using a flash so I worked with what I had.

I thought it was kind of funny I saw two other people who were dining take pictures with their cameras..either they were tourists or food bloggers.. I realize now how obnoxious it looks waving your camera around, I will try and be more discrete about it though.

Final Thoughts:I really enjoyed the food, I would have liked to
sample some of the other oysters they had there.
I didn't get enough to eat however I was starving after (note I am 20 and have a huge appetite).

Rodney's Oyster House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...