Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chez Meme Baguette Bistro- North Burnaby on Hastings

Chez Meme Baguette Bistro on UrbanspoonI was fortunate enough to spend some of my summer last year in Europe. I spent some time in Paris and was
able to take in the culture and sample Parisian cuisine. Great as the food is in Paris, the attitude of servers leaves something to be desire, I am aware that I am an ignorant tourist with limited french and a terrible accent but the common courtesy was just not there.

Chez Meme Baguette Bistro made me feel like I was in France again except one thing..the waitress was actually genuinely nice..shocking I know.

My girlfriend and I went here for lunch and grabbed a seat near the window.We were greeted with a "bonjour" and I was confused to whether I should say hello or bonjour, como sa va? back. The list of baguettes sounded fantastic and I was torn between two, the Bourguignon (boneless Beef short ribs, Carmelized Onions and Horseradish) $10.25 and the Jarret (Lamb shanks, roasted Garlic Jam and Grainy Dijon) $10.25.  I asked the waitress what was more popular and she convinced me to get the Bourguignon, next time I will get the Jarret.



This sandwich was absolutely fantastic. The beef was so tender and there was lots of it. No skimping on this baguette. The horseradish was homemade and had a great kick to it. You had a choice of fries, soup of the day, or a salad with your meal. I opted for the soup which was  vegetable curry. It was good, but the baguette stole the show with this meal.

My girlfriend (the part time vegetarian) ordered the Nordique (Smoked Salmon, Red Onions, Cucumbers and Lemon Dill Cream Cheese $9.25.


She let me have a bite and I must say this was another fantastic sandwich, I want to be critical when I go out and eat but I couldn't find anything wrong. All the flavors in this baguette went together to create a very refreshing tasting sandwich. Lemon, dill, and cucumber = very refreshing in my books.
My girlfriend thinks she is funny and likes to photo or foodbomb my pictures as she likes to call it. You can see her hand holding a fry in the second picture (i'm so proud of her).

I didn't realize that there were so many great restaurants along Hastings, on the plus side my girlfriend lives pretty close by so I will definitely be checking out some more spots around here.

The Verdict: Food tasted great, good portions for the price, friendly french speaking staff.
The only negative thing I can say is that the view out the window is Hastings street, so if you like watching traffic it's great but I like a more serene environment.
Chez Meme Baguette Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...