Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Taco Bell Fries Supreme vs. Peter's Pig out Food Reviews Supreme Fries

            I don't normally eat out at fast food joints but with only a couple $'s and wanting to think outside the bun I drove to the local taco bell. I wasn't in the mood for a burrito, and wanted to keep the beef (was it 19% beef ?) to a minimum, I opted for the fries supreme. French fries, cheese sauce, sour creme, green onions, and tomatoes, sounds great to me.

I would venture to say that this food item doesn't look much different going in than going out (just kidding). The fries are kind of a mess, but hey you're supposed to use a fork for a reason. 
By fast food standards, meaning processed cheese, the fries weren't bad. For the time they take to make I don't imagine they take the time to make a roux (butter and flour sauce base) for the cheese sauce.The following day I was inspired to make my own version of these as a snack for watching the hockey game.
I know people like to make things "healthy" when they are trying to replicate something they had at a restaurant but I don't waste time with things like that.


Roux

I kind of just improvised the whole process of making my own 'fries supreme', or as I like to call them supreme fries.I just threw a handful of pre made fries into the oven for 20 minutes and then I started on the sauce.

Making a cheese sauce is more complicated then it seems. As a 20 year old college student, my version of cheese sauce should include cheese wiz nuked in the microwave. I`d like to consider myself a little more civilized and proper than that.


I made a roux in a sauce pan which involves melting butter and mixing in plain flour. I then added some milk to make the sauce less solid. I grated some aged cheddar and fresh Parmesan cheese and added it to the pan. From this point you can get creative and add some spices. I put in a bit of cinnamon, paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder to the mix. I left the heat on low and started cooking up some ground beef.

I just threw some onions, garlic and ground beef (lean) into a pan and fried it up.
When the fries were done I put them onto a plate and poured the cheese sauce and topped it with the ground beef onion garlic mixture. Instead of using sour cream I put a couple dollops of plain yoghurt and a bit of chopped red pepper on the top.



I wasn`t expecting anything great from my little invention and to be honest it didn`t taste that good. Ì hate to admit that I enjoyed the fries from taco bell better (probably didn`t help that my fries were freezer burnt). All that means is that i`ll have to get creative next time and try and spice up the flavor.

The Finished Product



The Verdict:
Taco Bell : 1 
Peter`s Pig out Food Revews: 0

Anyways, thanks for reading and try making your own recipes sometime it can be fun. See something you like at a restaurant? Go home and try and make it!
Taco Bell on Urbanspoon






3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...